|a picture of the picture in people magazine.|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz. andouille chicken sausage or 1 oz. andouille pork sausage (i did not see this type of sausage, so i just used bratwurst. and i used the whole 16 oz. package).
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (i did not feel like buying celery, so i used carrots
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp saffron or 1 tsp italian seasoning (i used the italian seasoning)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (i used a whole package)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh parsley and scallions to taste
- heat oil in a large saute pan or skillet. add sausage and cook for 3 minutes, crushing the sausage with a wooden spoon.
- add onion, celery, and salt. saute for 3 minutes.
- stir in brown rice. stir saffron into chicken broth and add to pan. bring to a boil and add chicken.
- cover and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. (i had to add about 1/2 cup water and cook for an additional 15 minutes.)
- stir in peas and sliced bell pepper. (i put these in at the same time as i put in the extra 1/2 cup of water in step 4.)
- serve in bowls, topped with parsley and scallions (i just mixed the parsley and scallions into the whole pot of food). enjoy!!